Thursday, October 9, 2014

THANKSGIVING IN TRAGEDY

I am very tired.  I can't remember talking with people yesterday; I don't know what to write; I am numb.  I try not to think about Corey's death, and my great granddaughter lying in a hospital; about funeral arrangements; all I want to do is sleep.  And yet, people are counting on me to be strong.  I am the patriarch, so I am expected to be wise and spiritual and patient and ...!  The faith I have in Corey's relationship with God makes some uncomfortable, and others think I have lost my mind.  Having watched him struggle over the past few years, had broken my heart long before his sudden death.  And yet, I see his struggle as evidence of his relationship with God (Heb. 12:5-8). 

But, even in his darkest times, he talked to others about Jesus.  His influence on the owners of his favorite tattoo parlor have decided to begin a weekly Bible study to honor him.  The overwhelming funeral expenses have been covered, thank God!  I see God's hand in protecting Alex, even though she remains in the pediatric ICU.  I am in awe of a God who can make Corey's cell phone "appear" in her hospital room! 

Due to our family's grief, we have hardly thought of the other driver and his son who were killed.  Somewhere, probably nearby, there is another family grieving their loss.  Irony would have it that their loved ones will be buried by the same funeral home a day before Corey's burial.  Even in their tragedy, the wife and mother, travelling in the same vehicle, went into labor, and delivered a healthy baby within hours of her husband's and son's deaths.  I pray she is not so overwhelmed by her grief that she is unable to marvel at the miracle she delivered.  Lord, comfort them!

Speaking of comfort, after some time has passed, I pray things said at Corey's funeral will take root in the hearts of those touched by his short life.  I pray for my pastor to allow the Spirit to do what He does best:  He is the Comforter.  I pray that the comfort God gives us, will be passed on to those who need that same comfort in the future.  Paul wrote:

"All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with His comfort through Christ. Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us" (2 Cor. 1:3-7 NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment