Thursday, March 5, 2015

ALL TRUTH IS MEASURED BY THE BIBLE

According to 1 John 4:19, "We love Him, because He first loved us."  The fact that we know God loves us is, in and of itself, totally amazing!  Yes, like the children's song, "Jesus Loves Me," we know because the Bible tells us so (Jn. 3:16)!  But why do we believe the Bible? 

For me, the answer lies in the Grace of God.  When I, as a twenty-eight year old "know-it-all atheist," decided, on a fluke, to read from a pocket New Testament sent to me by a former neighbor, I was in awe of the beauty of the seventeenth century King James Version English.  I had always been a fan of Shakespeare, and although I did not believe the Bible was true, what I read was far more beautiful.  I was so impressed with Matthew twenty-five's teaching on benevolence, that I shared it with my wife; as much as I hated religion, it was a wonder she did not faint!

While discussing it, our children turned on the television on their way to get some cereal for breakfast.  I was so focused on telling Judy what I had read, that I didn't even care there was a religious program on (it was Sunday, January 31, 1971).  As I concluded sharing my thoughts on what Jesus was reported to have said, I heard the preacher say, "Today, my sermon is on Matthew 25, the parable of the ten virgins."  I could not believe it!  He chose the same chapter I had read the night before!

After listening to his sermon, the following church program, and a third preacher, Rex Humbard of the Cathedral of Tomorrow, I heard Humbard say, as he pointed into the TV camera, "You there in your living room; get down on your knees and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior."  I did!  Something instantly changed.  As I returned to sitting on the couch, I was keenly aware of three things:  1) My sins were forgiven!  2) The Bible is true!  3) God was going to use me to spread His Word.  Today, I am still doing just that.  I am no longer a Pastor or a Bible Teacher in a Christian school, but I try to share the Gospel daily through this blog.

Yes, I love Jesus.  And, although I still sin and begin questioning my salvation, the Holy Spirit keeps reminding me that my salvation is not based upon my "qualifying," but is based upon faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Eph. 2:8-9; etc.)!  I wish I could be more Christ-like, but the Bible clearly teaches that I will not be like Him until I see His face: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known" (1 Cor. 13:12) and again "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is" (1 Jn. 3:2)!

I CANNOT WAIT!  COME LORD JESUS!  

No comments:

Post a Comment